When recording a training outcome we need to know if trainees have met the standards to be awarded a qualification. There is also a need to record unsuccessful outcomes.
In the next round of research we hoped to validate our current understanding around collecting this information which included the following assumptions:
- our users are able to specify a date for when the trainee has either met the standards or for when they have not met the standards
- a common workflow for our users is to withdraw some trainees in the same process of recording a ‘standards not met’ outcome
- when a trainee is recorded as not meeting the standards for QTS, some will stay on the programme to try again
- we need to display dates from previous QTS outcomes against a trainee record
- our users understand the options we have provided for reasons why a trainee isn’t being recommended for QTS and the options cover all potential scenarios
There are multiple outcomes to consider
Early version of this flow included a button labelled ‘Recommend for QTS’. We were concerned that this was too specific and didn’t reflect other possible outcomes such as failure or awards other than QTS.
As a result we’ve decided to include a more generic button label, 'Record outcome’.
Why are trainees not being recommended for QTS?
We are trying to understand more around the requirements for recording the reasons why trainees are not being recommended for QTS.
We had initially placed reasons for failure within the withdrawal flow yet we began wondering what would happen to a trainee that failed to meet the standards but did not withdraw from the course.
In this iteration of the prototype we have included the following options:
- did not pass the assessment
- did not pass the exams
- for another reason (free text field)
We anticipate these reasons will change based on insights from future research.
- Trainee details
- Have they met the standards for QTS?
- When did they meet the standards?
- Check outcome details - standards met
- Trainee recommended for QTS
- When should they be recorded as having not met the standards?
- Why are they not being recommended for QTS?
- Will the trainee stay on the programme?
- Check outcome details - standards not met and trainee is staying on the programme
- Check outcome details - standards not met and trainee withdrawing
- Trainee details - training outcome recorded
- Trainee details - training outcome recorded and trainee withdrawn